The Commuting Journey Crime & Injury Policy enhances employee protection by providing insurance cover against crime and injury for up to R7.5 million if an employee dies or becomes disabled as a result of an incident which occurred while:
- Journeying between home and work on a reasonable, direct route
- Travelling to and from company sanctioned events such as Sports, Memorial Services and Funerals
- The cover is for all modes of transport including own and rented.
1. Medical Expenses
The benefit will pay the full medical expense benefits provided that the medical expenses exceed R1000.00 Therefore, any medical expenses claim less than R1000.00 will not be paid under this benefit and will need to be paid by the employer.
2. Temporary Total Disablement
Temporary income replacement benefit or days off benefit for days off work while the employee is injured, or while recovering from a work-related injury. The employee is paid 75% of their salary during their days off due to injury.
3.Temporary Partial Disablement
Temporary income replacement while the employee is disabled and unable to earn an income. The employee is paid 75% of their salary during their disablement.
4. Permanent Disablement
There are two ways in which the employee is compensated for permanent disablement:
- Lump-sum payment – for disablement assessed between 1 – 30%
- Monthly pension – for disablement assessed to be greater than 30%. Monthly pension paid out is a portion of the employee’s earnings at the time of the accident.
If the employee dies as a result of an accident or crime, these benefits will be paid out to their beneficiaries:
- Monthly pension to the spouse;
- Monthly pension to the children: payable until the age of 18 years unless the child is studying in which case an extension must be applied for; and
- Once-off funeral benefit.