RMA has invested generously in Enterprise Development (ED), a powerful tool to assist in the creation of jobs and address poverty.
In 2015, RMA engaged with a level 1 BBBEE supplier to assist with the roll-out of its ED programme, with a total value of R5 million. Seven beneficiaries from Johannesburg, Pretoria and Durban were selected. The aim of this ED programme is to promote economic growth and reduce poverty by building stronger SMMEs that are more inclusive. It is also aimed at diversifying RMA’s supply chain and entrenching its position as a socially and economically responsible corporate citizen.
The programme’s positive impact includes:
- Improved turnover by the portfolio by 23%;
- Job creation – 25 direct and indirect jobs within the portfolio, which has an average social impact on 100 lives that were improved. The average cost per job created was R200 000;
- Enhanced efficiency and compliance of the portfolio, ensuring its sustainability;
- An economic activity ratio of 1:173 i.e. R8.56 million of economic activity was generated; and
- Entrepreneurial prowess was heightened within the portfolio.